Monday, October 5, 2009

Facebook to Face-to-Face to Sexbook

Post #1
Kevin Mazorodze wroteon May 14, 2009 at 6:25am
Dear SAfAIDS.net members,

(A colleague sent me this article about what has become known as 'sexbook' to share with you all. Please read through and feel free to share your views and comments)

-------------

I was sitting in a restaurant in the city centre of Harare a couple of days ago with a colleague who was waiting for his 'blind date'. It was a Saturday afternoon and my friend had invited me to meet his 'facebook' friend for the first time since they had become friends on facebook for a year. It was such an exciting moment for him as he was finally going to have the face-to-face experience with his friend - a good step in the development of their relationship. Surely it is a great moment to physically meet an Internet friend of almost a year.

They had already exchanged phone numbers not to mention physical addresses. Thanks to facebook the famous social networking tool that was developed Internet gurus. She arrived in time and it was a great pleasure in the eyes of my friend at that moment. They were both fascinated to meet and have drinks and share stories. I decided to leave the two and join other colleagues who were a few tables away. As we discussed many pub stories: UEFA champions league, new South Africa with Jacob Zuma, Zimbabwe (govt of national unity), only just to mention a few, a friend of mine asked about the first company that I had – the two facebook friends who had met for the first time.

I innocently told my colleagues that, “Those two are having a wonderful time, and they have just met for the first time.” Out of curiosity, one of the guys asked how had that happened and I told them that they have been facebook friends for over almost a year. As if surprised, one of the guys at the table asked, “Facebook???” and I innocently said yes. He then said, “No my friend it’s not facebook… that’s sexbook.” I didn’t get the point but I just laughed along with other colleagues who burst into laughter. Out of curiosity I had to go on and ask what was meant by sexbook. And everyone just said that’s where all the sex starts, one even went on to say, “You see your two friends who have just met face-to-face, they are going to another level. I just couldn’t pick it up but I started to recall my friend’s excitement to meet this girl. It made sense to me… he was really eager to go to another level with this girl…

Yeah, facebook to face-to-face to sexbook – what has facebook brought to us really? This was innocently developed as a social networking tool… now what has become of facebook in the era of HIV. Can we blame the developers? No we can’t! I just started to think beyond my two facebook friends who had just met face-to-face… whilst I was thinking… lost in own world… I received a txt message. I took my phone from my pocket and guess what? My friend had sent me a message, it read, “Hey boy, I will hook up with you later. I am going to blast this chic at my cabin right now.” Before I could turn my head to their table, he was nowhere, already gone. The message might have been delayed by our poor network. Tried to call back – his phone was not reachable –he had just moved to a new flat and I didn’t know where it was.

Now, I came to think of how many people are meeting on facebook then face-to-face then to sexbook. I couldn’t get an answer. I just said to myself, no one knows.

Ladies and gentlemen on this for a, can someone tell me what this facebook has come to be. Is the problem with facebook? Is it sexbook for sure??? In a drunken stupor, one the colleagues at my table said in the Shona vernacular, ‘Facebook ndiwo muzinda wechihure” (Facebook is the place of promiscuity).

Is that so?? Should we blame the tool or blame the users of the tool???

Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment